Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Family Tree

I've been yelled at recently by a few people for not updating my blog, I don't know if this is because they are just being mean or if they actually like reading my posts and want more. I'm guessing it's #1, but in my mind I'll think it's #2 because I'm an arrogant jerkface like that. I just don't feel like posting alot of days, and this is why I was not cut out for having a blog. But I won't stop either, because I don't like to quit things. So my goal on days I do feel like posting is to create and save a couple posts to put up on future days.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My grandparents 50th Wedding Anniversary is this Sunday and they are having a big gala at a country club in Millard. Has everyone stopped to think about how long that is to be together, holy shit. I'm glad they made it this far, because my family doesn't get along all that well and so that makes it even more of a feat. The party should be fine, good food and all, but there is something that has become clear to me over the years. Being the oldest grandson makes me like the ambassador for all the grandkids to all my older relatives and my grandparents friends. I get introduced to everyone while the other grandkids don't have to, and I also have to answer questions about all other grandkids, because I guess old people know they don't have time to talk to all nine and just go through me instead. "So where's James working now? We hear colleges are looking at Ben? How'd Colter do on his social studies quiz last week?" I don't know, the kid is third grade, and he doesn't call me with updates.

I've also been putting together a 35 minute photo tribute video that they are going to play at the gala. It actually turned out really good, they wanted something simple but of course I can't do that and have all these graphics and I digitally zoom in on each picture and dissolve and the whole works. It's a whole history of their lives and I showed them a rough cut of it earlier this week and they were on the verge of tears so I think it's going to go over well. They had a lot of old pictures from the 40s and 50s of their parents and families and I end with new photos we took of our family now and something becomes quite apparent. My family back then was ugly and now my family is not, has anyone else noticed that in their family? Is it just a weird cultural thing where people back then just aren't attractive to us because of the way they dressed and did their hair or were they actually inferior in looks? Is it because women wear a lot more make up now and tan and guys fixed their teeth with braces and lift weights and let women pick out their clothes now? I don't know, but it's interesting and I've been thinking about it alot lately. Will we appear ugly in 75 years and will our children and grandchildren be laguna beach caliber pretty?

2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger scott c said...

In that case will you guys set me up with one of your kids?

I'll wait until she's 18, I've got nothing else going right now.
sc.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Hahaha, scotty, perfect comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home